Blogger Wordpress Gadgets

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Unconventional vs Creative





Not the best tool for the job.

Unconventional: Not based on or conforming to what is generally done or believed.
Creative: n. One who displays productive originality

These two words in my opinion are sometimes used one for the other. Creative has a positive vibe and unconventional less so. One is used in replacement of the other due to interpretations. For example, one person may say, "She came about this in a very unconventional way, that's usually not how we do it."
Another may say, "This is a very creative solution for the problem we've been facing." All depends on who you are and how you see it.


I see myself as a creative thinker. Others say I am unconventional. Lets just take the bowl for example. Every time we reach for our favorite box of cereal, and I still love Cheerios, we pull out a bowl and load it up. I did as I was taught and used a bowl while living with the family and then decided that I didn't like all that chasing around for the last few O's, and it didn't really gel with me to drink the last of the milk out of a bowl. Go ahead and admit it, we all have done it, tip the bowl, misjudge the size of the rim (because we usually don't drink out of a bowl) and we spill. A quick catch later, tip the bowl with better insight of the size of the rim and the velocity of the pour and finish off that sweet, cereal flavored milk. I for one just can't stand to waste it, so I like to drink it.


Once I was on my own, living in my first grown up apartment, (I was 17 years old but that's another blog), I decided that it made much more sense to use a glass for this morning ritual. I don't have to chase so far for the last remnants of cereal and when those are gone, I drink the milk more civilized without ever spilling down my chin. Seems to me that it is much more efficient to use a glass for this task. Takes up less room in the dishwasher and less waste because I consume every last Cheerio, then tip my glass and drink every drop of milk. Easier to carry around if you tend not to eat at the table and sits perfect without the spoon ever falling out when I set it down.


I get it every time. Someone sees me pouring the cereal in a glass and they ask, "What are you doing, you eat your cereal out of a glass? And for those that worry that it may not be proper, I do know when this  might cause a scene. When eating out, I just don't order cereal. And others, they won't drink out of the bowl because that just wouldn't be considered best etiquette. Which is unconventional and which is creative? That would all depend on the interpreter. In my interpretation, I would say drinking from a bowl is unconventional. Eating my cereal out of a glass is creative thinking.


That all brings me back to my job search here in NYC. I have not figured out a way to get a face to face interview. I have 20+ years of creative thinking and experience. But I am judged by what is conventional. The process of... here is the question, pick one of these answers... just does not fit who I am. I can just see it each time, the computer spits out my application like sour milk. I'm guessing the resume never gets a read due to this process. So, if someone can tell me a creative way to get around this conventional process, I am all ears!


Thanks for your help,


Jo Ann









1 comment:

  1. How about an "Occupy the Employer" sit-in. Pick your employer of choice and "occupy" them until you get someone to talk with you. You can either be the only one doing the sit-in, or all of us can rally around you and cause a scene until they acquiesce. I'm up for a good ol' fashioned protest!

    ReplyDelete