Blogger Wordpress Gadgets

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Rug

So many beautiful colors and textures to choose from.

I'm starting this blog in order to reach out to others who have had the experience of The Rug being pulled out from under them. I expect it to happen now and then in this complicated game of life. This wasn't the first time, and I don't expect it to be the last. It was one that I have never experienced before, the loss of a job. I'm in hopes of hearing from people who have been there and done the change up, and are now perfectly planted as you see fit. I would love to hear your story. Here is mine so far, and how I see it.



After the initial big tug of the rug, and the bump on the butt that knocked the wind out of me, I got back up, took a deep breath... and realized that I relish the idea of a revamp.


I love what changing out a rug does for life as much as it will do for design. You can completely change the look and feel of a room with just one new accessory here, move the furniture there, some proper editing and a brand new rug. Violá, your room has been transformed and feels fresh and new.


I went a little over board on the accessory when the rug was pulled this time. Losing a job due to downsizing and being the one picked for the downsize, gives you the feeling that you didn't matter. Then I thought about that, and decided to take a good look at the condition of the rug I had been standing on for so many years. It for sure wasn't fresh any more, getting a little threadbare and had a few stains that could never be removed. So, it was time. I am in search of a new rug, one that is clean, fresh and feels soft and plush under my feet. One that will stand the test of time and completely changes the look and feel of my life.


My first accessory for this change up was a move to NYC, a move to the land of opportunity (I'll admit, that was a large splurge for an accessory). Now, the search is on for that new rug. I have decided that I don't really want a rug just like the one I had. I want something exciting and new. I want one that is bigger and bolder than the last one. It is time to change it up. I'm looking for the perfect rug that has lots of rich color, beautiful texture, has more depth and layers than the one I had, I deserve it! I want one that is handmade, I get to decide every color, shape and the size that fits my life and not your "off the rack" 9x12 (that's about the size of the average office cubical). I want an organic thread that is so soft I can sleep and dream on it. What I am finding is, in order to do that, I have to make my own rug. I know this will take a lot of work and I am ready, willing and able to do just that. I will search for the perfect colors that move me and for textures that I just can't help but run my hands through each time I come in contact with them. Special ordered just for me, by me, customized for my life.


Just like my design style, I like a mix of faces, places and an alternative opinion to the way of doing things, not your average specific style and period. I want it to feel acquired and not the newest trend. I am looking for something modern that translates well with my traditional. I don't want to just play it safe. I want it to lay just perfect, compliment and anchor all the other things in my life. I don't want to move all my thing around to get it to work. It will be the new foundation. I want everybody who sees me and meets me to say, "Dang, that is a beautiful rug" and then I can reply, "Thanks, I made it myself".


I am in hopes of meeting a new crowd of people that have acquired their new rug and hear your story of how you redesigned. 



Jo Ann

No comments:

Post a Comment